Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Diamond Cutter and the Tasawwuf



Tonight
the tip of my pen
has become
a fish hook
pulling toward me
my last supper.


You see...
last night
I heard
another call
from the desert.


I was hesitant to go.


I stepped lightly
toward the void
for I knew
whatever is said out there
means change.


The frosty chill on my neck
nearly caused me
to turn back,
but the promise of fire
and a chance
to gaze
once again
into the eyes of my teacher
drove me forward.


She has been a Diamond-Cutter.


I have been a raw diamond

destined for an ego-cutting knife hilt.


As I journeyed
through the darkness,
I realized
qawwali songs were guiding me.


Ecstatic.
Mourning.
Longing.
Welcoming.

Somehow stitched to my DNA.

I arrived and saw that my teacher was not alone.


A man
in a cobalt turban,
and a shawl as white as snow,
smiled.

Somehow familiar, he gave me wine.


Symbols and sigils
of every tradition
were tattooed into his skin.

They glowed.
He glowed.
The fire glowed.


I had the sense
he was just in
from a long trek.


I had the sense
I was about to go
on a long trek myself.

He told me he would be like a rock;

that it was time

to learn

the refined art

of making life

a work of art.

He pointed East

and said: "Remember!"


You never
come back
from the desert
the same.


___________________________


from Agape: Poems from the Desert of the Mind
(c) 2008 - 2009 / Frank Owen

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites